Intrinsic or extrinsic motivation?

Home Forums Course Discussion Forum Motivation Discussion Intrinsic or extrinsic motivation?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    NGieLo
    Participant

Michael Jordan definitely will be one of the greats of basketball and be remembered for a long time.
    Thou in his early years of failing to make his high school basketball team, that didn’t stop him. His love for the game was strong that it just drive him on. Keep working hard at it without thought of what might be the rewards of success or the humiliation of failure.
    Definitely such motivation is intrinsic and a Type 3. He values hard work and strong self belief.

M N Viswanath
    Participant

I think Michael Jordan was intrinsically motivated. Because he loved the game so much and worked hard at it he didn’t have to chase success, success came to him, searching.
    His personal values were his willingness to- work hard, challenge, compete,persevere and persist – with a never, never never give up attitude.
    He was definitely the type 3 personality- because he loved the activity and possessed a lot of achievement motivation. He was not afraid of failing because he was not always outcome oriented.It is only when you are outcome oriented you are afraid of failing.Perhaps another reason for him not to fear failure was that he worked hard.And when you work hard you are rewarded with success and with every success comes confidence.Excellence is the by-product of all this.He tried to better himself everyday until the day, he was reckoned as the greatest basket baller of all times.

M N Viswanath
    Participant

I think Michael Jordan was intrinsically motivated. Because he loved the game so much and worked hard at it he didn’t have to chase success, success came to him, searching.
    His personal values were his willingness to- challenge, compete,persevere and persist – with a never, never never give up attitude.
    He was definitely the type 3 personality- because he loved the activity and possessed a lot of achievement motivation. He was not afraid of failing because he was not always outcome oriented.It is only when you are outcome oriented you are afraid of failing.Perhaps another reason for him not to fear failure was that he worked hard.And when you work hard you are rewarded with success and with every success comes confidence.Excellence is the by-product of all this.He tried to better himself everyday until the day, he was reckoned as the greatest basket baller of all times.

M N Viswanath
    Participant

I think Michael Jordan was intrinsically motivated. Because he loved the game so much he didn’t have to chase success, success came to him, searching.
    His personal values were his willingness to- challenge, compete,persevere and persist – with a never, never never give up attitude.

M N Viswanath
    Participant

I think that Michael Jordan was intrinsically motivated , because he loved the game so much and all he wanted to do was to play basket ball and get better at it each day.
    His personal values were his his commitment- to hard work, work ethics, competence, competitiveness and perseverance.
    He had a huge sense of `achievement motivation’ and was driven by strife. Because of this he didn’t have to go after success, success came to him calling. When you work hard at your skill your confidence grows, your efficacy grows and you are not afraid of failure. You treat failure as an opportunity to improve yourself and not as a setback.

olavversloot
    Participant

MJ just showed all the obvious signs of being intrinsically motivated: seeking the challenge, having fun and work hard to be successful. Perhaps the best example of the guy looking for challenges is his shift to playing baseball after having won every single possible price possible in basketball. Multiple times. Of course there will be a trace of extrinsic motivation (the success?), but the majority is clearly intrinsic. Absolutely loving it!

Julian Fernandez
    Participant

First, some of what Jordan states throughout the video:

“I played this sport because I loved it”
    “My competitive drive is far greater than anyone else’s that I’ve met”
    “You don’t want bad things happening, but you deal with it”

I think it’s pretty clear –from what Jordan himself says– that his main source of motivation is intrinsic. So much so, that when he first retired, he did it “citing a loss of desire to play the game” as a reason (though his father’s murder and his growing celebrity status also played a role in his decision).(1)

It’s also pretty clear that his personality type is that of a great athlete (Type 3). His need for achievement was huge, and his fear of failure was low. It has been mentioned that he didn’t make his High School team (2) and that caused him a lot of pain. But he managed to use that pain and focus it on his own improvement. In that sense, I think fear of failure can also be a good source of motivation.

I would say hard work, resilience, dedication, and competitiveness are his top personal values.

—-

(1) Source: Wikipedia’s Michael Jordan entry
    (2) Though this may be not exactly accurate. According to his High School coach, Michael Jordan was not “cut” from, but “placed” on the Junior Varsity team. Source: http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/34313465

Victoria Chan
    Participant

◾What is Michael Jordan’s primary source of motivation – extrinsic, intrinsic, or both?
    Intrinsic as he loves the sport.

◾What are his personal values?
    Being optimistic and taking negatives things and turning them into positive.

◾What is his likely combination of Need for Achievement and Fear of Failure?
    Type 3 as he is highly motivated and though he loves competition, losing is not detrimental

Frank Muller
    Participant

I would say that Jordan’s primary sources of motivation were all intrinsic. Surely there were other (extrinsic) factors that also played a big role, but I think to be as successful and dominant as he was you must have an extremely strong intrinsic motivation. I would say that he was a mixture between personality type 3 and maybe a little bit of type 4. Type 3 obvisiouly because he loved his sport and he wanted to be the best in it. He needed to achieve that for himself. But one the other hand I would say that he hated losing to such a high degree that (maybe) he was also a little afraid of it. In his case it maybe was more hate of failure and not as much fear. But anyway he showed some of the characteristics that are typical for type 4, e.g. enjoying competitive situations and takes personal responsibility for outcomes. He was also known as one of the best/worst trash talkers in the history of basketball (poor sportmanship?). Maybe his failures in basketball didn’t cause self-doubt and lower self-esteem, but I am not so sure if the same can be said about his baseball failures.

Yeo Chern Tat
    Participant

I think MJ’s motivation is a mix of both. His self-belief in himself, the game and his willingness to seek greater heights. He mentioned he can fail but he will work to overcome the obstacles. Very clear in this area. Winning awards are just indicators or checkpoints telling him or reassures him what he is doing and keep him going.

Personal values, at least in the game of basketball, he constantly seeks new heights. His love and and passion for the game and is true to it regardless what happens. Be it he had a bad day or constant victory, he strive to better himself.

Clearly, he seems very clear a type 3 in my opinion.

Stephen Githinji
    Participant

Several phrases by Michael show us his motivation is largely intrinsic. He mentions perception and belief, both which are traits that manifest from within.He is finally quoted as saying, “you must expect great things of yourself before you can do them” shows his drive comes from inside him.

Determination, Persistence and Hard-work are the main personal values I would pick out.

Type 3. Though his Need For Achievement matches that of a Type 4, it is his ability to remain steadfast in the face of negative outcomes and setbacks that places him squarely in the Type 3 category. Being cut from his high school team was a significant setback, but for Michael, his perception did not allow him to lose hope.

Jasonlee
    Participant

‧ Michael Jordan said the success of the great qualities ── players “never satisfied”
    Intrinsic motivation love basketball game like competition

Michael Owino
    Participant

I see Michael Jordan’s motivation is intrinsic,like he says he loved to play the game for the enjoyment. But something else sticks out. He was very competitive,that was the most driving force,he didn’t want to see anybody better than him and he worked so hard to be so good at what he does. He is competing with himself and when in a competitive set up he tries to see how good he gets. He enjoys a good challenge and he’s proud of himself once he sees hes getting better. Its not about others,its about himself. His personality type is 3

olivewani
    Participant

I guess Michael Jordan’s source of motivation would be the intrinsic.

Clearly he played for the love of the game. Every failures in life he would take it as a lesson and learnt from it rather than erasing it off his mind. I believe too in life we should have a balance of bad and good things so we can look up ahead to a bright future.

Doing what you love in life is as important as living it. As for Jordan, he loves what he was doing and accepts any hiccups that happened along his career and that is the reason why his name is in the basketball hall of fame. Failure has never been a reason for him to pursue his challenging career. His perseverance made him pull it through to be where he is till now.

iraatiqah
    Participant

MJ’s motivation are mostly intrinsic – watching the video, you can tell that he’s highly motivated by his passion for the game. He thrives on his failures, “deal with the bad things” and he mentioned how you can’t have the good things without the bad. He has a Type 3 personality when it comes to his need for achievement, yet I believe he worked hard mostly because he loves the game… He mentioned, “I just work hard. Success just came after.” So showing that he’s more intrinsically motivated.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.