Cycle crashes

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    amenrigh
    Participant

Crashes are apart of the sport. Just like interceptions are apart of american football or losing your stick is apart of hockey. Stuff happens. Athlete’s prepare and practice for these situations the best they can. It could alter a person’s confidence in that moment losing time and placement and having to scramble. But all one can really do is just get through it and keep on, if possible.

JenB
    Participant

Crashes would have to impact on fear levels and confidence levels, as they impact on physical ability to perform, and cause pain, and detract from ability to continue the race if a bike is broken or a substantial injury sustained. It would take peak cognitive and emotional control and focus to perform at maximum capacity after even a minor crash.

narsilion
    Participant

They consider crush as a typical struggle of the game. A self- confident athlete is in a good position to handle problems like these. By controlling emotions, being concentrated and using the appropriate mental techniques.

jakielaj
    Participant

I think that for most of the athletes as long as they haven’t suffered a significant mechanical injury that would prevent them from continuing to compete they will simply jump back into the race. Athletes have to have “selective amnesia” about events and refocus at the task at hand. In this case, completing the stage of the race and trying to make up lost time from the leaders. Crashes are an implied risk of the sport and if an athlete is so focused on not crashing or obsessing over a crash that occurred in the past it will hinder their overall performance and execution.

aemax21
    Participant

A bike crash would freak me out! I’m so accident prone that it would probably cause a horrible injury. Then again, I’m not a cyclist. I was impressed that those who crashed remained calm and collected. They may have been disappointed that they may not win or obtain a ranking that they thought they may get, but there is no way to predict a crash.

jditomma
    Participant

As was discussed, crashing is just part of their sport. Get up, get back on, ride and work out later if you were hurt. Obviously unless you were too hurt to get back on. In many cases it would be frustrating as it would break rhythm and often cost placing in the bunch. But they go and go hard to :get back on” the bunch and just carry on.

If it was continuous and it was an at fault loss of control or focus that repeatedly occured to oneself, then a lack of confidence that you had the full skills might undermine self confidence, but if you know cyclists, they’re usually a “cocky” bunch.

Christopher Ramesh
    Participant

The video was unavailable on the website. However, I watched a similar one on YouTube. Each sport presents its own hazard. Motorsport and cycling are no exceptions. The participants must have crashed many times since they took up the sport for the first time. Hence, over a period, these sportsmen develop a mental state to recover from their crash quickly and resume the game. The loss of time, the seriousness of injury may temporarily put them off the event or sport for some time, but the determination to prove themselves again always puts them back on the track.

The speed of recovery may vary between an experienced athlete and a new one. The repetition of experience, the quality of training and the technical proficiency in the sport and equipment help the athlete stay cool and recover and proceed with the game. That’s the sign of confidence.

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.