Cycle crashes

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    olavversloot
    Participant

Given the fact that most of them get on their bikes again and continu the race at least pretends to show that their self-confidence isn’t affected much. Perhaps because of a combination of experience and cycling attitude (don’t complain, ride!).

On the other hand, regular falls must drive you crazy and will almost certainly affect your SC. Effects might be seen during sprints at mass arrivals and going down hill: with lowered SC, one might just not take that extra bit of risk.

cjmetzgar23
    Participant

As elite riders they know the risk of there being another crash. I am sure it’s always there in the back of there minds, so in this way they are almost prepared and can keep calm if something does happen. With self-confidence it’s important not to think about the negative things that could happen during the race. These athletes just have to focus on what’s ahead and know that they can get through anything that they may come across.

Tracey
    Participant

I think a way cyclists could overcome their fear after a crash (also anticipation of another crash) and continue on at the level they want to ride is by employing a contingency plan. The plan can be prepared and practicised as part of their training. It sounds like the expectation of a crash is common at this level of cycling. The impact of the crash on the outcome (time lost, ability to continue riding at the level you want to, injury taking you out of the race) can only be assessed once it happens and would vary how the contingency plan is used. The plan could include:
    (1) The Logical Side (a) understanding what lead to the crash (b) if they could have done anything differently (c) what if anything could they do to prevent another one (d) to know when to pull out due to injury so it doesn’t have long term negative effects on their health and ability to ride in future (e) talk to other cyclists about what happened and if there are any learning points to be gained
    (2) Awareness and Management of the Emotional and Physiological Reactions (a) how do they want to react emotionally knowing it can use up precious energy (b) how to think about it -“it is just part of the ride experience” or not think about it – use defusion, so it doesn’t affect the rest of the ride (c) breathing and mindfulness to control their threat reaction (fight and flight) (d) pain management strategies so that initial sensations can be assessed and help decision making to continue or not.

I think another factor that would affect fear and self-confidence levels is how you see others deal with the same situation that are experiencing the same or similar level of impact.

I think the crashes in the video would have affected the cyclists’ self-confidence in different ways.
    In the group crash everyone seems to remain calm and those that could just got on with it. They would have had a negative emotion about it happening but it appears that they weighed up the extra use of energy reacting negatively to it and instead used the energy to just continue on. Overall, for those who could continue on following the crash it is unlikely to have had much of an influence on their self-confidence.

The railing crash looks like it could have caused major injury that could have involved a time period of recovery. I think this situation would have had a significant impact on self- confidence getting back to riding. This would need a systematic approach to build up confidence in riding and his threat reaction in similar situations to the initial accident.

The save by Lance Armstrong would have potentially added to his self-confidence as he could come up with an alternative plan on the spot. I think it could also impact on others sense of confidence as they watched how he dealt with the situation and recovered from it.

Rajarshi
    Participant

Cyclists must have thought like this:
    ‘Am I able to stand up on my feet or not?’, ‘Is my cycle ready to ride?’,
    If ‘YES’, then I had no second thought or source of fear.
    Tour de France cyclists are not ordinary humans but SUPER HUMANS.
    Fear is not an option because I am already trailing and has NOTHING TO LOSE.
    This is the time to hit the road like a mad.
    I also feel lucky. Not everyone gets the chance to COME FROM BEHIND and WIN. This is the time to show the world ‘Who I Am’.

diana
    Participant

all elite cyclist are used to crashes and they themselves are aware of the possibilities of crashes. More or less, it can affect their self-confident because it somehow has affected their momentum in cycling. However, as elite cyclists,if it is a minor injuries, they should have know what to do and quickly gain focus again as well as concentrate on the race.

Alexander Oshinsky
    Participant

honestly I think it depends on the cyclist and the situation. some athletes will understand that a crash is an occupational hazard and will jump right back on the bike and keep going as if nothing has happened. This group of cyclists is mentally tough and well prepared for any outcome. Failure is just a hurdle that will not slow them down, but rather drive them to train even harder. In this group of cyclists a crash is not going to affect their performance since they are already prepared mentally and physically to overcome it.

For others though, they will be unable to return to peak performance. for this group they might believe that they prepared, but for whatever reason the crash has sparked some sort of trauma. This could either be on a mental side, physical side, or both.

AlesyaKuznetsova
    Participant

I think if sportsmen is self-confident and he has target, he will not pay attention to the interference. He is focused and nothing will prevent him.

Stephen Githinji
    Participant

During training for elite cycling competitions, I believe cyclists are conditioned to take on and overcome various scenarios like, losing a lead in the last stretch, catching up to the lead pack, etc. In this case, I can only imagine that recovery after a crush is part of the conditioning. Several variants may be employed to simulate a crush in a competition, and the athletes are trained on how to approach such situations.

I would credit psychological preparedness, physical fitness and the self confidence to be able to overcome the losses incurred during a crush as the ways in which cyclists are able to overcome the fear of crushing.

Through this form of preparedness, crushing becomes just another scenario.

Emmanueldickson
    Participant

For many athletes they will loose the hope of competing again after such a crash but only those with great psychological techniques will get up and fight.The crash in this video tells us how mentally tough this guys are, what they showed say how long they have worked to prepare mentally their selves against such situation that might occured. From my own point of view self confidence can be lost by many athletes when such crashes happens as they loose their hope of winning, others might also sustained injuries that will keep them away for so long. as we all know for some athletes training makes the more confident. This crash will create a fear in the athletes mind about the re-occurrence that might lead to their death.

pmavromati
    Participant

An elite athlete is important , not just to get back on the circle after a fall, but to put that behind and keep cycling with the same effort, as it never happened.

pmavromati
    Participant

lindarebecka
    Participant

I don´t think that crashing will affect their self esteem. I mean, I think they all know that it´s probably gonna happen some day.. In that video they were behaving so well, amazing to see!

Chia Stella Xinying
    Participant

I believe it is all about their preparation from training. They surely understand that crash are inevitable and may happen, they have to learn to refocus after a fall and perform again. The whole event of fall and getting up should be one of the most challenging factor that each cyclist will face, they will set their mind right and strive to regain as much time lost as possible.

Yorgos
    Participant

Bike crashes is a common thing in such an event and most probably all cyclists have been through this challenging experience. Of course if they couldn’t cope with such an incident they wouldn’t be elite athletes…Their self-confidence isn’t hurt if the crash is not their mistake,but if they feel that they are responsible for the accident then self-limiting beliefs might fill-up their mind.

Ayan Chatterjee
    Participant

It was quite interesting to see that the cyclists didn’t start to panic during the crash. EVerytime i’ve had a motorbike accident or have seen somebody have an accident, i’ve noticed a few things that i could not see here. The first thing that happens generally after you fall in high speeds is that your heart rate shoots up, you are suddenly feeling a lot of adrenaline, however just minutes later you go into shock and if you try and stand too fast you might get dizzy. I have seen this type of situation and experienced it quite a few times. It was thus strange for me to see these cyclists react so calmly to their crashes. Perhaps they are so mentally focused or have such a strong sense of belief in their abilities that they can deal with a crash in a different way. Perhaps since they are cycling as fast as they are they are already full of adrenaline and a crash doesn’t really make the levels spike as it would to non athletes. Its an interesting area of study to find out how athletes cope with setbacks within their sports, although methodologically it may be a challenge to measure it in the moment.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.