Cycle crashes

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author

i do agree that the cyclist on the movie has a good confidence, but is it the only factor for the athlete to take that decision to continue the match after a massive crash?

i do have a patient (a mountain cyclist athlete) with seriuos injury during his latest match, but he still win the 3rd positions in finish line . based on what he explained during physiological therapy, serious injury is a part of risk of being an athlete, thats why he insist to be in that competition even the medical team on that competition said it would be danger if he still compete that time.
    is this happened because of the athlete really has a confidence?

oilbaron
    Participant

Sport number 1 in my home country Belgium, with the likes of Eddie Merckx, Lucie Vam Impe, Johan Musseeuw, Freddy Maertens, Tom Boonen,… grew up with it and love it.

Speed: fast-faster-fastest: crashes are just part of it. Learn to fall, get back on your bike/motorbike/skis/… and go on. There is a reason we have only 1 world champion. And are they not a little ‘crazy’, and is it not that what attracts the spectators?

Over-confident on the other hand gets tricky, resulting in risky behavior. Control the controllable, respect the dangers, explore your limits, and prepare for success. Stay in control of your actions.

iskolaratleta58
    Participant

Tour de France is a very exhausting game that requires motivation (lots of it), an exceptional mental toughness. In this field, anything can go wrong, a cyclist can be dehydrated, very much fatigued, so they be self-confident to face the challenges and in knowing what to do in the different situations. In the video, my opinion is that the cyclist may have lost a little bit of self confidence but their faith to their talent can never be broke. maybe except for those who got badly injured. it may really be the end of the season. another example is the 200 meter freestyle of Michael Phelps in the 2008 Beijing Olympics where he smashed Mark Spitz’s record of 7-gold medals in one Olympics and made history having 8 gold medals. in the 200 meter freestyle event, his goggles were filled with water but then he was very confident with his training and depended on his stroke counts (part of training). He still managed to broke the Olympic record but it was very obvious that he was disappointed because it was one of his favorite events and he knew that he could have done better.

Chen HAO
    Participant

In my opinion, The Crash is such a common thing in bicycle racing.That it has becomes parts and habit of the game. This is why the cyclists self-confidence were not affected by the crashed.Even if, they are physically injured, they should be able to get back to top speed again.Because they are so stronger .Especially of mental toughness.

KAO CHIH-CHIEN
    Participant

I feel sad for the riders fell off the fence, which is part of the game, but really sad. In addition Armstrong’s performance so I am surprised that he could think of a method in a short time from adversity, and to transform the track to continue the game, this is his very confident performance.

Ishan009
    Participant

Crashes are indeed spectacular at the Tour de France. The ability to overcome fear of another crash & get again back on it depends from individual to individual. A cyclist who is full of anger, determined to do something & is about to complete a race, crashes; it would be difficult for him to come back again. It is because he / she might have engraved the whole scene of the crash in his / her memory & this would get re-winded every time in his / her head when she would start cycling. This would be the case if he / she would be attached to that defeat or the crash to a lot extent.

But, the cyclist who comes after the crash would re – stable himself only then when he / she gains some self – confidence. Self – confidence is a major factor which influences an athlete from one another.

chuichisum
    Participant

The crashes in the Tour De France can be quite spectacular.I think all cyclists are aware of the risk.For less experienced cyclists, crashes might shake their confidence a little bit and make them become more careful to avoid the crash again;

olivewani
    Participant

Well I think all these elite cyclist are used to crashes during tournaments.

The amount of emotions that cyclist has, could affect their performance after the crash. However if cycling is their passion, all I can say is it takes lots of crash to be a champion I suppose.

Ya-Chiao Yu
    Participant

I think most of elite level riders know crashes is a part of bicycle. They must have the ability of control their
    emotion and keep on riding.

Yeo Chern Tat
    Participant

I think from the crashes. On the positive note, like Armstrong, you gain from experience and be able to handle similar situations in future. so the accidents, they indirectly serves as a form of confidence builder.

On the other hand, Others may take a longer to rebuild or in fact never rebuild to the original level of confidence as fear and emotions of past experiences strikes in. These group will take more challenge to work with.

So, as a sports coach in general, accidents/failures do affect athletes, for better or worse. I think as a coach, I have to be aware of this and learn about the tell tale signs so that I can help my charges.

JHIH-SYUAN YU
    Participant

I was very surprised, the occurrence of such a serious collision, they did not get angry or accused who is to blame, but immediately calmed down, solve problems, and to continue their competition, these cyclists for dealing with fear is very superior

Wendy
    Participant

In my opinion, to deal with fear bike crashes is a basic ability for an elite cyclist, because bike crashes is a part of cyclist, and the duty of athletes are to finish the competition and performance the best in competition, if the cyclist fear about bike crashes, he/she could be not to achievements the completion and pursue the success.

Julian Fernandez
    Participant

I think it depends both on the individual and on the severity of the fall. When I was 11 years old I had a nasty bicycle fall that left me with extensive, painful, road rash (no broken bones, though). Then, after a couple of weeks, and as soon as the scabs were off, I was back on my bike. On the other hand, and many years later, I’ve known about cyclists that witnessed another rider’s fall on a downhill stretch and became so scared they could barely deal with anxiety on every technical descent…

I have had some more falls, but from my experience I think they have only affected my self-confidence if/when I’ve let fear creep in. Most of the times, the falls I’ve suffered were either because I was trying to go beyond what I could technically do at the moment or because I allowed myself to be distracted.

By analysing each fall aftwerwards I’ve learned about what I can, or can’t control.

I’m far from being a pro cyclist, but I think many of them deal with falls in a similar way: focus on what you can control and improve on that (bike handling skills, focus and attention), and wish for a bit of good luck.

M N Viswanath
    Participant

First of all, crashes can be devastating, because they sap you of your confidence and belief that you can complete the race ahead of the others in good time. When you are involved in a crash you lose time which is a vital factor in a rally like the tour-de-France. The riders after the crash doubt themselves whether they will be able to make up for the lost time and distance. Especially when the bikes are damaged and they have to wait for mechanic to arrive and put them back on the road- the waiting time can lead to a lot of negative self-talk,doubts and can make the person fidgety, panicky, chaotic and restless.He believes he cannot complete the race. -it can add to his woes if the rider is injured.To the professional who is used to all this he has his coping mechanisms and is not unduly worried about the `un-controllables’ he would remain positive and think of what he can do ahead without losing his confidence. Fear, negative emotions and doubt can pull your confidence down. These are times when a confident and optimistic athlete would think of the completion of the race without any more hindrances,he should talk to himself positively, back himself up, remember the past successful experiences. It is possible for the riders who are involved in a crash to get back at top speed- provided they are courageous[ opposite of fear], optimistic, positive, in the present and focused on the process unmindful of what may happen ahead. They would surely think of the strategies they would adapt instead of ruing at what happened. If you saw Lance Armstrong go off the track then come back to street you will agree with me that champions are a determined lot are always emotionally in control with themselves[do not panic],they believe in themselves and their abilities.

taheinrich
    Participant

The cyclists who are the most successful are often the most prepared as well. With that being said, I am sure an elite cyclist has prepared for every aspect of the race, good and bad, that may happen. Training oneself to go to your quiet place in a situation like that will ultimately result in you being one of the cyclists who regains themselves the quickest and is back on the road again.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.