Reply To: Intrinsic or extrinsic motivation?

Home Forums Course Discussion Forum Motivation Discussion Intrinsic or extrinsic motivation? Reply To: Intrinsic or extrinsic motivation?

Mel
Participant

I would figure that Jordan’s motivation stems from intrinsic mainly, but I’m pretty sure it might have been extrinsic at the start. Most athletics start off as extrinsic, because it gives them a sense of belonging, because they are good in it, because this sport gives them money and such. However, the true ones who stick to it down the year, are the ones who have developed their intrinsic motivation for the sport itself.

Jordan’s intrinsic motivation stems from the fact that his need for personal excellence is the factor that push him to greater heights. There are people out there who fear failures, but his perception on failure is that ‘it can’t be all good and no bad all the way’. That’ I think, sets him apart from the usual athletes that you encounter. The fear of failure can be used in some cases, to motivate athletes, but that would only work to a certain extent. Most fail when they reach to a certain level because of the immense pressure increasing at an exponential rate when you get even higher. Jordan’s lack of fear for failure is probably the one major factor that push him to greater heights.

Enjoyment and lack of fear for failure complement each other, and with that, he rise to the most recognised basketball player the world has ever known.