Reply To: Have you ever done yoga?

Home Forums Course Discussion Forum Anxiety Discussion Have you ever done yoga? Reply To: Have you ever done yoga?

annahemmings
Participant

I have practised yoga and I liked it, it had great benefit for stretching and flexibility. There is a good element of focus and attention control. However, when I was competing as an athlete I much preferred to use the type of techniques described in the module. I worked with Peter Terry and I tried all of the techniques described my favourites were Quiet Place and the 5 breath. I regularly used autogenic training, this gave me a profound relaxation, I would also use it prior to doing some visualisation training so that my mind was calm and open to suggestion and programming the sub-conscious

I always used centred breathing when I was nervous and it was part of my routine when I sat on the start line before a race. I went on to win 6 x world championships in marathon kayak racing.
I have recommended all of the techniques to the athletes that I work with now.
One of my favourites is a simple breathing technique:
inhale for 5 seconds, exhale for 5 seconds repeat for 30-60secs
or
inhale for 4 seconds, exhale for 6 seconds repeat for 30-60 seconds. The slightly longer outbreath evokes a great relaxation response.