Reply To: Intrinsic or extrinsic motivation?

Home Forums Course Discussion Forum Motivation Discussion Intrinsic or extrinsic motivation? Reply To: Intrinsic or extrinsic motivation?

Rajarshi
Participant

I believe possibility of co-existence of intrinsic & extrinsic motivation cannot be ruled out, both plays their role in making an athlete. But obviously, In case of MJ Intrinsic motivation was much dominant.
Key values related to Michael Jordan are “Challenge, Hard Work, Achievement, Competitiveness, Excellence, Leadership, perfection, optimism”.
Indeed, he was a person with extremely high need of achievement. I disagree a bit in case of ‘fear of failure’ with most of the participants when they say ‘MJ didn’t fear failure’.
I’d like to remind you the famous quotes of Jordan i.e.
“I’ve missed more than 1000 shots………………………………………………… I’ve failed over and over again, and that is why I succeed”.
‘Limits & Fears are illusion’.
‘I can accept failure, but I can’t accept not trying’.
‘Failure gave me strength, my pain was my motivation’.
The above statements show that he was extremely conscious about failure (if not fear). But the key point is he is an Optimistic person. Instead of breaking down in difficult situation he took it as a challenge and with his qualities of ‘Hard Work’, ‘Never Say Die’ he made it to the top. So, my conclusion is he was somewhere between Type 3 & Type 4.