Your imagery experiences

Home Forums Course Discussion Forum Imagery Discussion Your imagery experiences

This topic contains 53 replies, has 51 voices, and was last updated by  Christopher Ramesh 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Gustl Pido
    Participant

Imagery helps activate our our mind and also comes first to our senses to react and make a imagery to focus one point. This will helped to improved to sharpen our mind, making a great imagination to create something new. Even the great inventors they are use a great imagery to create a new invention.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  Gustl Pido.

annahemmings
    Participant

As an Olympic kayaker I used imagery a lot, it was always a key part of my mental training and preparation. I would often visualise my race plan, i would execute the race from all the different 9 lines on the course, I would imagine different weather conditions and water conditions. Always playing out different scenarios in my imagery. I would see myself winning after a great start and also coming through to win after a poor start. A key part of my visualisation would be the kind of state that I wanted to see myself being before the start. When I was confident prior to a race I would find it easier to visualise my desired state, when I was less confident I found it harder. When my visualisation training was vivid and I was able to recreate just what I wanted to happen then this served to enhance my confidence massively. this is something that took a lot of practice.

ab13
    Participant

I used imagery a lot during rehabilitation from injury. It helped me focus on my goals for recovery and allowed me to visualise overcoming my injury. After, some set backs during recovery imagery helped me keep mentally on track whilst physically I wasn’t where I thought I would be. I had to go back to the surgeon, yet I feel without the use of imagery I wouldn’t have been able to push myself through physio exercises to regain my sporting abilities. It wasn’t imagery alone, but it definitely assisted in recovery.

Conrad Francis
    Participant

Imaginary focusing and thinking is not the easiest for the brain. But as i went a long on more brain and imaginary practicing it became easier and became a greatest tool towards my performance. It made me stronger mentally and helped towards my performance immensely.

jakielaj
    Participant

I tend to use imagery when I’m running and competing in 10K races. You have to image yourself running with great mechanics and cross the finishing line when you reach difficult hills or begin to feel yourself become fatigue. The use of imagery has helped me to push through the wall, gain my second wind, and finish at the desired time. If I find myself becoming wrapped up in negative thoughts it starts to affect me physically and my overall performance suffers.

aemax21
    Participant

Before this course, I never thought about using imagery for competition. Of course there is sight and visualization of your movements and actions, and touch of such as the seams of a baseball leaving your hand. You often forget about taste, sound, and smell. Taste could be the salty sweat rolling down your face to reach your lips or the cool gatorade running down your throat after vigorous activity, sound could be the whistle of the refs, screaming of the crowds, or background music, and smells of concession food. Wow I miss softball after that.

jditomma
    Participant

I have a very vivid, and in color, experience in imagery. I am very artistic, and kinesthetic, so the two combine well for this exercise. When I coach I often use words that evoke a picture image for skill development for the swimmers, and in life generally.

Am more familiar with seeing scenarios imagining by sight although the others , taste, smell, were quite challenging for me.

Christopher Ramesh
    Participant

I am a teacher of literature and shooting sport enthusiast and imagination/ mental imagery is helpful in both the pursuits. The sense of vision is the easiest to imagine and the sense of smell is the most difficult one. I also understand that what one has not experienced first hand is difficult to imagine. In shooting sport, the sight picture- the aiming of weapon at target centre with perfect alignment of fore and back sights of the gun- is often imagined outside the shooting range. The more you imagine a perfect sight picture, the better your performance becomes in course of time.

Imagining a large shooting range with audience gallery, the mixture of sounds from weapons, music system, audience, the different weather conditions, wind flow that causes concern about bullet flight path deviation, the smell of cordite and shutting off your mind against all these and focusing on the sight picture, feeling the weapon against your body and slowly squeezing the trigger to release a shot, can be very beneficial.

I do this as often as I can and also encourage young shooters to do so.

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.