Secrets of Asian Sport Psychology

Home Forums Course Discussion Forum Mood and Emotion Discussion Secrets of Asian Sport Psychology

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Neil Martin
    Keymaster

Please use this topic to discuss the Judo in Japan or Shooting in India chapters with particular reference to the approaches to managing mood and emotion.

Nur Alyaa
    Participant

Overall in this chapter i satisfied with the content but need to go over again so that i can more understand and will use for my references later.

majdeddin mostaan
    Participant

Thanking the content of this section, it can be said that the individual differences of gender and culture in particular, is very important and is involved in mood, and a personal experience in this regard, to speak to the athlete about the feeling of the moment it is in close competition or match day and can be very useful in controlling mood.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think majediddin mostaan is right with the aspect of each indivdual and cultural backround. I have read some literature about mood and this is not new. But I think it is important to go over stuff again and again since over the time you forget about one or the other.

To train Athletes in MT is very interesting cause each case is so different and attaching the knowlede is so challanging. It also pais off emotionally to the Trainer…. I am always very happy to see how I can help and nurture my clients!!!

Lisa Rubin
    Participant

I took the mood profile test and found it interesting to see the profiles of the Japan case study and how one person can change mood and how those moods affect performance. The biofeedback in the India case studies is something way beyond my scope but very important for regulation of mood.

Leonard K
    Participant

Individual athlete perspectives on mood and emotion in sport psychology do play a part in their individual performance. Personally through further literature readings on Mental Psychology in Sports have also proved Music and exercise do change in mood readings of individual athlete.

Jason von Stietz
    Participant

I found the chapter on Judo very interesting. I love that Judo and the wisdom associated with Judo is integrated in Japanese culture. This reminds me that it is very important to create an athletic culture or atmosphere that facilitates motivation, continual improvement, and emotional regulation.

Aline Olivio
    Participant

I thought it was interesting yhe study of mood and emotion affecting directly athlets’ performance and how these athlets were assessed and prepared for competitions, mainly because POMS is one of the few instruments that we have to assess athlets in Brazil.

iskolaratleta58
    Participant

I can now apply all the things i have learned regarding moon management and emotions to all my athletes. it will help them handle the most difficult training, competitions and all hte hardest challenges that they will encounter as an athlete and as a person (in their daily lives)

KAO CHIH-CHIEN
    Participant

Emotional Control Manager is a very important part of the athletes, a bad mood can affect a whole game, I learned a lot in this chapter emotional adjustment methods, such as listening to different kinds of music have different effects, or do light activities to achieve Relax.

M N Viswanath
    Participant

JUDO IN JAPAN: Judo is a top sport in Japan. Japanese have tasted success at the International level and has won more medals than any other country with Judo. Like in any sport Judokas in Japan are exposed to great deal of mental stress due to expectations from the self and the countrymen, because Japanese have traditionally done well at the Olympics and other world meets.The participants are subjected to emotions and moods, which left unattended are debilitative to performance. The judo federation of Japan has for long implemented the `mental management’ intervention has has proved to be beneficial to their athletes. The strategies and methods adapted to manage emotions and moods-include the relaxation techniques-deep breathing, positive mental attitude, focusing, stress management techniques,bio feedback, clearing the mind before the competition, goal setting etc. The sport psychologists have used the mood profiling test- POMS-1971 to understand the moods like tension, depression, anger, vigour, fatigue, and confusion.
    SHOOTING IN INDIA: has become a major sport in India after the success at the OLYMPICS and other International competitions. Shooting is completely a mental game and the shooter has to aware that their mind can become their worst enemy due to over thinking, over analysing and random thoughts. In a game where a minute variation in heart beat or the slightest movement can cause havoc to performance-negative emotions and mood swings can play a huge impact.Shooters in India have engaged the services of eminent sport psychologists to enhance their performance.The common strategies employed for the control of emotions and moods are:- cognitive control, positive mind set, relaxation techniques using music, deep breathing and muscle relaxation. focusing on the rhythm and between shot /round routines, positive self-talk and mental rehearsal. The neuro-feedback monitoring has been utilized to positive effect.The sport psychologists have employed the BRUMS mood scale[ PeterTerry et al] to measure the mood and profile them to understand more about different emotions like anger, vigour , fatigue etc.The contribution of mental training to shooting in India is evident with India winning many International medals of late.

Rajarshi
    Participant

Emotions comes fast & goes fast. It is also caused by immediate circumstances, whereas moods are relatively long lasting. Most of the sports are dynamic which observe a rapid change in emotion within fraction of time. Rest, music & exercise can be good mood regulation techniques and self-talk, other relaxation & activation techniques may have some results on emotional regulation. Rather than ‘Good & Bad’ mood & emotion, it is important to understand it as ‘OPTIMAL’ mood & emotional state. This level of ‘OPTIMAL’ also varies from sport to sport. It may also vary from person to person. Personally I experienced that activation of mood is easier than relaxation/ calming down.

Ayan Chatterjee
    Participant

All the case studies were really interesting to read. IT was great to see that the indian shooters wanted to improve at any cost and were willing to take risks and different strategies to achieve their goals, while in Japan the government provided a holistic approach for their Judo athletes which helped their athletes really embrace Judo as a cultural right.
    Both these sports require immense focus and the ability to pick strategic moments to assert yourself. Being able to maintain and control one’s emotions is an inherent need in these sports because the level of concentration is so high, that anything can disrupt the fine balance that is required for some of these athletes to be in the state of optimal arousal.

Conrad Francis
    Participant

From this Chapters social culture varies from country to country and the methods used different. Indian Shooters take risks and find methods to improve from the rest. This states that the will to win and the willing to win is greater and nothing could distract from achieving the impossible.

Judo is the same as Shooting an immense sense of focus and concentration is required at its highest level. The best of the athletes are ones who could control there emotion stress and keep focus at the same time when required.

jakielaj
    Participant

It was interesting to see how in the example of the Judo athlete the mood profiles were utilized to measure how the training impacted the athlete. The significant peak of fatigue during the training camp up to the olympic trials is probably consistent with other sports where coaches attempt to create an environment that will be more of a stress to the athlete than the competition. If they can be exposed and prepare for these extremes they will hopefully have developed the proper skills and techniques during training to not let their performance suffer when it will count the most. It was also to see from an empirical standpoint how the athlete’s self reporting could be utilized to develop future training protocols and develop an outline for success with future athletes that will be facing a similar situation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.