Messing with tradition

Home Forums Course Discussion Forum Music Discussion Forum Messing with tradition

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 49 replies, has 49 voices, and was last updated by  Christopher Ramesh 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Ajcrome
    Participant

I don’t see a problem with athletes listening to music right up until they perform. I do however understand the criticism regarding Wimbledon as it’s a there are a lot of traditions (white clothes) in place. Ultimately, sport moves on and so do methods of dealing with anxiety and increasing confidence, and these should be used freely unless they affect other athletes.

If it helps the athlete listening to music to get in the zone I totally agree that players should be allowed. Its an option for all players, and if not in the rules that they can not, then I think it is wonderful. If its ear buds and not disturbing competitors. Maybe other athletes do not like that advantage their opponent might gain?

Ayan Chatterjee
    Participant

Well maybe in a few years, we will have implants inside the year so that we can listen to music all the time. I guess we can call it disrespectful to tradition today, but traditions aren’t permanent, new traditions replace old ones. Perhaps in the future athletes will be able to listen to music while they are playing in order to help them focus better. I guess it will depend on personal choice. I know a lot of people who can read or study or exercise in a much more focused manner if they are listening to music, while others need absolute pindrop silence. Perhaps in the future you would be able to chose what sounds you want to hear while you are out there on a court.

Yorgos
    Participant

Probably Martina is jealous because she couldn’t do the same. (Wearing headphones). Trying to concentrate and to get in your optimal state does not disrespect anyone… Players should be allowed to wear headphones on court, I really don’t see why not.

Stephen Githinji
    Participant

I think preference should be given to athletes to be as comfortable as they can in any competition. When athletes enter the arena in the best frame of mind, they are bound to give superior performances, which are the main reason for the prestige of any event.

Provided an athlete’s routine is not grossly disrespectful of the basic moral code, e.g. inappropriate gestures or violation of peoples’ basic human rights, they should be allowed to indulge in their preferred pre-match routine.

That said, Martina fully exercised her right to freedom of speech when she aired her view. In my opinion, I think it was a clever way of initiating a conversation that will get attention from a more pertinent issue e.g one concerning her skill, performance or composure.

Andrew
    Participant

I think disrespectful according to what she thought.
    Respect athlete’s personal pre-routine.
    or maybe she can wear hidden earphone next time.

I think its a dillema to judge athlete wearing headphone while entering tennis court as psyched up or disrespectfull, every athelete were unique, and sometimes dealing with competition environment is a big unpleasant moment. So they try to cope it by listening to music.
    If it comes to competition readiness i think its a tolerable attitude for the athelete to focus on their comfort.

Nur Alyaa
    Participant

For me the situation showed music is not disturbing or distracting anybody but a strategy to win the competition. Even though there was someone wearing headphones into the traditional Wimbledon may look disrespectful. It is just an opinion or judgement from people around. Everyone have their own personal judgement and every judgement can be take into consideration and lesson to learn.

Ukko
    Participant

In my opinion, It’s disrespectful because most players know that there’s tradition in Wimbledon but, as always, human beings tend to do what they want to gratify their “needs” no matter what the circumstance is. That’s why tradition always changes. But if the question is “Is it disrespectful?” Yes, it is.

Conrad Francis
    Participant

Each athlete is entitled to his or her way of preparing for the games, that’s something participants and community should respect. That might be a tool for Martina Navratalova to keep focus and mentally relaxed.

annahemmings
    Participant

I do think it is a bit disrespectful to the crowd to walk on to the court with your headphones on, especially when the crowd are probably cheering the players’ names and welcoming them. in effect the players are ignoring them which is rude. However I do understand why they are doing it as it helps them stay in the optimal state and focused right up to the last minute before they have to play. At the same time they should be able to create that optimal state and set anchors that when they step on to that court its match time and they should be ready. Does that extra minute with the music on really make a big difference?
    Perhaps I’m sitting on the fence a little bit here! I’m struggling to decide what I would do if it were me!

George Morrison

it is hard to see why listening to music in the context of Wimbledon is any more disrespectful that an athlete listening to music while mentally preparing for an event at a world championship. the Wimbledon tournament has lots of tradition which is the hallmark of that particular tournament but many past championships there have been made memorable by ‘disrespectful behavior’ eg John MacInroe, Nastase

George Morrison

it is hard to see why listening to music in the context of Wimbledon is any more disrespectful that an athlete listening to music while mentally preparing for an event at a world championship. the Wimbledon tournament has lots of tradition which is the hallmark of that particular tournament but many past championships there have been made memorable by ‘disrespectful behavior’ eg John MacInroe, Nastase

zorantennis
    Participant

Wimbledon is a tennis tournament that prides itself with keeping old traditions. While other tournaments have adapted to the times and allowed players freedom in some sense, they have a dress code (all whites) that is unlike most is not all of the other tournaments.

Wearing headphones at Wimbledon should not be allowed, because it has its own traditions. Other tournaments and Grand Slams can decide for themselves. Just like you cant play in a black shirt in Wimbledon, no headphones or other technology should be allowed.

Yes I get it. Athletes use it. It helps them. But consider this. Maybe the strongest ones are those who do not use it, and are able to adjust to only being able to use it until they leave the change room.

There was a similar incident with a top 100 player wearing Google glass in Wimbledon 2013. Bethanie Mattek-Sands was chastised for doing so. Why choose to do this at Wimbledon if you know that the tradition is so strict?
    http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/20/pro-sports-first-tennis-player-to-wear-google-glass-at-wimbledon-this-week/

jakielaj
    Participant

I don’t believe that its disrespectful. Each athlete has to do what they feel will best prepare them for their respective sport/event. Some of the older generations may not understand the new generations of athletes but that doesn’t mean that if they are wearing headphones that they are deliberately being unprofessional and disrespectful to the history of their sport or the crowds that are paying money to watch them.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.