Intrinsic or extrinsic motivation?

Home Forums Course Discussion Forum Motivation Discussion Intrinsic or extrinsic motivation?

This topic contains 107 replies, has 101 voices, and was last updated by  Jungambas 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 108 total)
  • Author

jakielaj
    Participant

Jordan’s motivation was largely based on intrinsic factors. In the video, Jordan states that he wasn’t chasing greatness but that greatness was bestowed upon him. He simply loved to play basketball but new that success would not be possible without failure. Jordan didn’t fear failure but knew that he could grow and develop from failure and the lessons that it would reveal to him. Jordan most likely was the Type III athlete discussed in the previous pages. That although he was hyper-competitive, defeat or the fear of failure wouldn’t be crushing and debilitating to him. It would serve as fuel for his intrinsic motivation and push him to worker harder in the future.

CFred57
    Participant

A majority of motivation came from intrinsic factors. His inner drive to the be the best at basketball kept him focused on a simplified, singular goal: beat the competition. Although the fear of failure could have pushed him in some ways, it is important to note that Jordan recognized the reality that he couldn’t be successful 100% of time. Many athletes cannot handle that truth, and collapse under the pressure that the idea of failure presents. Jordan falls into the category of a Type III athlete because failure did not significantly damage his psyche or hinder his performance on the court. In fact, it can be argued that the fear of failure was more along the lines of an embrace of failure. Jordan used failure to constantly improve his game, adapt, and overcome the competition the next time a similar situation came up.

aemax21
    Participant

I believe that Michael Jordan mainly had an intrinsic motivation. He had a love for the game of basketball and that drove him to do well and succeed in the sport. He put in the work, stayed committed, was prepared to fail, and had a good attitude and that’s why he is successful. I feel as Michael Jordan has a type 3 personality because he’s very competitive, but won’t cower and be filled with self doubt in times of failure. It will just push him to be better.

Mel
    Participant

I would figure that Jordan’s motivation stems from intrinsic mainly, but I’m pretty sure it might have been extrinsic at the start. Most athletics start off as extrinsic, because it gives them a sense of belonging, because they are good in it, because this sport gives them money and such. However, the true ones who stick to it down the year, are the ones who have developed their intrinsic motivation for the sport itself.

Jordan’s intrinsic motivation stems from the fact that his need for personal excellence is the factor that push him to greater heights. There are people out there who fear failures, but his perception on failure is that ‘it can’t be all good and no bad all the way’. That’ I think, sets him apart from the usual athletes that you encounter. The fear of failure can be used in some cases, to motivate athletes, but that would only work to a certain extent. Most fail when they reach to a certain level because of the immense pressure increasing at an exponential rate when you get even higher. Jordan’s lack of fear for failure is probably the one major factor that push him to greater heights.

Enjoyment and lack of fear for failure complement each other, and with that, he rise to the most recognised basketball player the world has ever known.

rwalker100
    Participant

From the beginning I feel that MJ motivation was an intrinsic drive as he states that he has a love for the sport. However one can wonder if that was the same drive that pushed him to continue to play when he got cut in high school or was it from other factors. One may also argue that throughout MJ career he has had both intrinsic and extrinsic factors maybe even working in unison that helped him stay on top and achieve all he wanted and more.

CindyB
    Participant

Defintely a type 3 -with a strong intrinsic driving force, a genuine love for his chosen sport & desire to do his best at it.

mjb22
    Participant

I believe MJ was mainly motivated by intrinsic factors. He stated in the video that you he enjoyed the game and the success came afterwards.

jimszone
    Participant

Jordan definitely is intrinsically motivated and operates from need for achievement as is naturally competitive. Michael Jordan also values ‘putting his mind to what he does’ and what he experiences as good or bad relates to how he perceives things.

jditomma
    Participant

What is Michael Jordan’s primary source of motivation – extrinsic, intrinsic, or both?
    I think a bit of both … MJ certainly was driven for the passion he had for the sport, bu the more he played and the accolades he received the more he enjoyed that as well

What are his personal values?
    Excellence in everything he does

What is his likely combination of Need for Achievement and Fear of Failure?
    I am sure he was predominantly a TYPE 3 Psych. In the video it was more about his passion and persistence which provided for his need for achievement

Mdimic
    Participant

What Michael Jordan was doing all his career was to push his own limits through hard work and passion for what he was doing. Maybe he wanted in some way to prove wrong to the high school coaches that didn’t consider him good enough but eventually with his own mentality for the game itself he accepted that decision as a good thing that thought him to rely on his intrinsic forces such are passion for and dedication to the challenge to be better every day. He doesn’t have any fear of failure or need to achieving (certainty yes at the beginning of his career) as he feels passion to challenge himself

Lean Xin Ying
    Participant

Michael Jordan’s primary source of motivation is stem intrinsic, because he said “I just play the sport because I loved it” and he was the type III athlete because video shown he push hard work and passion on what he is doing, I watched a video was about Michael Jordan’s 10 rules for success and those values might be Michael Jordan’s personal values:
    1. Keep working hard,
    2. ignite the fire,
    3. be different,
    4. fail your way to success,
    5. have high expectations,
    6. be positive,
    7. be who you were born to be,
    8. have a vision,
    9. stop making excuses,
    10. practice.

Christopher Ramesh
    Participant

I think Jordon’s motivation is predominantly ‘intrinsic’ and to some extent ‘extrinsic’ as well. ‘Intrinsic’ because he loved the game, challenges and he played for the sake of the game, come success or failure. He simply loved his beloved game never realizing that he would be this successful. However, the challenges from the opponents, the electrified crowd and the recognition that he was one of the ‘most recognizable’ sportsmen ever served as ‘extrinsic’ motivation to continue to push himself hard to the point of becoming perfect in the game.
    He is type 3 personality.

Malcolm Hutton
    Participant

Michael Jordan loves the game for its own sake, but in personal terms he is very influenced by competence motivation i.e. the desire to be as good as he can be, and to master those things he identifies as worthwhile to achieve. This is largely about intrinsic motivation, but he also wants to be better than others and to achieve competitive results, which is extrinsic motivation of a healthy kind. Putting him into a category doesn’t seem very useful unless it helps produce results, and that applies to anyone. Good questions by others in the forum; how do you convert a person from one ind of motivation e.g. extrinsic to intrinsic? The Jordan blend of each looks very balanced.

I think Jordan was intrinsic motivation because he said how much he loved the game and obviously he had pure joy for the game.
    He was a highly competitive athlete and was motivated to overcome obstacles.
    I would classify him has type 3 because he has a competitive spirit. He cared more about the process that would lead him to the end result. He loved the game, worked hard and gave his best. Not concerned so much about winning so much. But his hardworking took him to heights he never even imagined.

Papo
    Participant

It appears Michael Jordan’s source of motivation is extremely intrinsic. He tried to excel the game because he “… loved it.”, not because he was aiming for the external rewards of fame, money, and the adulation of people that came along with his success.

I am not quite certain what is meant by “personal value”, if I understood it right, I think a value that Jordan shared in the video was the overriding importance he placed on overcoming competitive challenges.

I would assess him as a Type 3 (High Need for Success, Low Fear of Failure). He perceives “bad things that happen” as good… as things to “deal with” rather than to be afraid of. In his own words: “I am a good enough man to accept the good, I am a better man to accept the bad.”

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.