Have you used token rewards?

Home Forums Course Discussion Forum Motivation Discussion Have you used token rewards?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    benjiquek
    Participant

We have a ‘play’ award and a ‘spirit’ award at the end of every game based on their playing ability and team spirit shown respectively.

Conrad Francis
    Participant

I have used token rewards system, but this system apply to certain Individual athletes from my coaching experience. Each athlete is different and the approach i take with them is different depending on the goals we make.

token reward is the another ways to motivate athlete. This method should be used in the right time.

Token reward are the best way to increase the motivational of the athletes. However, the realistic of token reward is firstly to be considered without giving any unrealistic amount of token award that can make them satisfy to their performance.

jakielaj
    Participant

I do think that Token goals can be effective with athletes today. In terms of rehabilitating injured athletes the simply act of given them a diploma upon the completion of a certain protocol or phase of recovery can help the athlete measure the progress they have made. A simply certificate generated on a computer may help the athlete realize they can get back to previous levels and keep them motivated if they are presented with an injury that may take months to years to fully recover from.

CFred57
    Participant

Token goals can be a huge factor regarding an athlete’s inner motivation to achieve a goal. When I played football, only the players who gave the greatest effort received a custom made t-shirt. It was a simple reward, however it inducted them into a club encompassing many past and present players. The t-shirt became a symbol for toughness and every player wanted it. Successful rehabilitation for athletes could be expedited if a token reward such as badge or small trinket is presented upon completion of a return-to-play program.

aemax21
    Participant

My softball coaches would use token rewards for me when I was younger. They would give us stickers to put on our helmet if we made a good play or had a good hit during the game. I see that they do that for football too. It was a good way to make us feel good about our performance and keep taking risks and doing our best to hustle.

Anne
    Participant

used token reward with children,effect is very good.

rwalker100
    Participant

I have not had the opportunity to use token reward with athletes, however when I was an athlete my coach did use token rewards with us. At the end of the week we would have a player of the week that would hold the golden stick until the next player. It definitely helped motivate us to get better, i am not sure why but everyone wanted the stick.

aemax21
    Participant

My coaches used token rewards when I was in softball. They would give us stickers to put on the back of our helmets if we made a good play in the field or a critical hit in the game. I would say it was a very effective strategy.

CindyB
    Participant

I like most people here have used token rewards when coaching teams of youth – netball & soccer. I’m now a Boxing Coach & find it a little harder as most of the time Im dealing with individual boxers within a club. I do find giving positive reinforcement both directly to the individual & giving acknowledgement where other club members can see such as the monthly newsletter is valuable. But I’d love any suggestions

jimszone
    Participant

I don’t recall using token rewards and often thought they were more extrinsic and less effective. I may be wrong and I see your research supports tokens. Perhaps how you establish your criteria for giving token rewards or recognition is what makes the difference.

jditomma
    Participant

I was going to tell you about my time as a Primary School after school swimming coach. Here it was important to give each child some recognition for their improvements, as on Friday nights “Club” highlighted the top performers, but “club” also had a pointscore for personal bests and this added up across the season and often this was not the fastest, more natural athlete.

But then I remembered a time where my daughter attended her sport, figure skating. Figure skating in Australia is certainly a small pond. If you were good, you mostly won all the competitions. And for many children, this was their (and their parents) goal. My daughter was very talented, and for her the path was just that, winning many awards and competitions and championships. Her best friend was not as natural an athlete and at Club championships they were to skate in the same level. My daughter did not skate well at all, but still won the event. Her friend skated the best we had ever seen her skate and finished forth. Her friend was devastated that she had not placed. I sat with her (as her parents also had not been happy with her “result”) and explained that she should be happier with her skate than my daughter. She scored the highest marks she had ever scored and my daughter had not, regardless of the placing given by the judges. Often sporting bodies can miss an opportunity to recognize this sort of “result” and they loose players (skaters) and often the child become less interested in sport and keeping fit as they mature.

So, now I have shared that with you, I would say that token rewards can be effective, but they must not only recognize “the champions”, because we never really know all of the slower developers, that can often be missed and fall away from participation, training adherence, practicing on their own, because they don’t get any recognition, or they only see everybody else getting the recognition.

And for what makes one athlete “tick” may contrast to another. So finding out this is also very important

Lean Xin Ying
    Participant

my coach was use token rewards in his coaching (Taekwondo). He gave away sport shoes or new dobok to those who improved very much in techniques and won in a competition. I found this very useful, because this keep a whole team motivated.

Malcolm Hutton
    Participant

I have used small chocolate bars with women lawn bowlers, giving them to the group with the best result on a given exercise. not all the time, and with a bit of fun attached. With one individual I gave a gold star I purchased from a newspaper shop. More often I use spoken compliments without going overboard. Ideally a person will be rewarded simply for having achieved an acceptable result i.e. intrinsic motivation.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.